 Marketplace / Theory / 481
480  |  482
Subject:
Fair Lego Seller's site?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 23:35:28 GMT

That sounds like an even better idea. OK - so to refine what John is
suggesting....

How about something like this? A group gets set up - Fair Lego Sellers
would be a good name, though I don't know if TLG would object to the
use of 'Lego' in the name. Membership is open to anyone, but members must
agree to certain conditions, involving being honest about what they are selling
and whether the item is actually easily available outside Ebay, providing a
good customer service etc. Membership would cost a few dollars a year - which
would
pay for the site and the admin costs of running it.  Members would be able to
(or perhaps would be asked to) display the group's logo and URL  in their
auctions - and
members would get kicked out if they post auctions that are clearly in some way
misleading, unethical, or in breach of the conditions.

And of course, the group would have a website that, besides explaining its
purpose,
highlighted and named sellers who clearly act unethically - though for legal
reasons
(as well as the need to be fair) such information would be confined to
verifiable
factual statements about auctions posted and the availability from other
places of
sets so auctions.

Note I'm not necessarily volunteering to set up such a site (though if there
is enough
interest I'd be willing to consider it) - just throwing in the idea for
comments.

Main legal problem I can think of off hand is how to stop non-members from
trying
to use the group's logo anyway - since if certain sellers are willing to
mislead people about
set availability, some of them are probably willing to mislead people in other
ways...

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

   Simon,
   Thats a good idea.  I also think some of the sellers who complain about
these others selling ridiculously priced Lego should form some type of group
(with a recognizable logo) to increase awareness.  Something like the eBay
Power Sellers Program or the other eBay groups that have formed (there is
one that starts all auctions at $.99 and others).  With a name like "Fair
Lego Sellers" or something catchy.  If people see that logo on enough eBay
ads, they'll wonder what its all about, click, and end up at a page as you
describe, with FAQs and warnings about buying Lego - and sellers to watch
out for.  If seeing that site saved someone $30 on set #1775 (or any other),
they might be more inclined to buy from others with the logo.  Also, they
won't get the bad taste in their mouth after realizing they paid twice what
something costs.

--
   Have fun!
   John
Simon Robinson wrote in message ...
http://www114.pair.com/ig88/1775.jpg
   I have cross-posted this to admin.database for the numbers you gave
below.

And two auctions just popped up on eBay with starting bid of $49.95!

Gack... we need to figure out how to effectively combat this eBay
ridiculousness. I'm tempted to start suggesting to the eBay sellers I
regularly buy from start migrating to Serious Collector (though SC would
have to open up to allow parts lots) or some other venue. If eBay isn't
going to allow us to effectively combat the misinformation, we need to
start taking our buisiness elsewhere.

Would there be any problems with someone creating a web site - calling it
something like say -  www.auctioninfo.com, and using it to display all the
information
we gather about instances of this sort of thing - including identifying the
sellers etc.?
Is there anything Ebay could do to stop such a website, provided all the
information was completely
accurate and factual?

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com