 Marketplace / Theory / 357
Re: "Buying Lego" FAQ to link auctions to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:12:49 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Actually I'm glad. One of my nightmares is a sniping 'bot which will
make it impossible for normal human beings ever to win an auction.
Sniping programs already exist though I don't know exactly what they do
or how.

Of course, eBay would probably *welcome* that kind of 'bot. Sigh.

They keep track of the bidding and then bid at the last possible
second.  One I saw even allowed you to specify the number of seconds
before the end that it would submit the bid.

eBay seems not to discourage THOSE because they only work at the eBay
site. What eBay does NOT want are the crawlerbots that collate listings
from eBay and other sites. They haven't internalised that if the
crawlerbot shows they have most of the listings, they'll get most if not
all of the traffic.

When you're dominant, some kinds of competition end up making you more
dominant, barring any other advantages like the less dominant
competitors being lots and lots better values or more convenient... so
of course eBay is scared, I am sure there are lots of internal memos
pointing out how crappy they know they are and how they need to use
every other edge they can get.