 Marketplace / Theory / 354
Re: "Buying Lego" FAQ to link auctions to
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:50:06 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

I've seen one or two of the relevant *questions* in Lugnet.faq but no
answers, so I assumed it hasn't been done. If it has (even only
partially) I'd love someone to point me at it.

OK, more specifically then, check out the fibblesnork auction guide
which is linked from my site, somewhere, as well as from lugnet. It does
NOT list all sites but is a good resource to a number of the more
established ones, as well as excellent Q&A about the auction process
from both buyer and seller perspectives

See also

http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/

which has a good list of sites. Not nearly ALL of the persistent sites,
I don't think...(1) it also does not mention the sporadic, but periodic
and well established auctions, such as Bill and Doug's and others.

1 - and that is both cool, because there are SO MANY to pick and choose
from, and bad, because there are SO MANY to try to keep track of. (2)

2 - as Todd, Eric and Chris and I discussed at dinner tonite in Waltham,
a bot that was wicked smart, understood all the site formats, especially
the smaller fan run ones, and could present you a comprehensive view
would be nice. Better still if it could manage all your IDs and allow
you to bid in a unified way, doing a translation to the specific
mechanism (mail, fill out a web page, whatever) as required to bid for
you.

Not a trivial bot. Heck, not even a hard one... at this point well nigh
impossible. But still, wouldn't it be wicked cool?

eBay (and contrary to rumor, I won't be wearing a "I love eBay" shirt
anytime soon) is actively discouraging such bots eBay? eBah is more like
it....