 Marketplace / Theory / 2571
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:42:44 GMT

Bryan Kinkel wrote:

It has been a while since the bulk selection offered by Lego Shop@Home as
been expanded beyond a new release or two. (Where are the gray tiles!?)

And this got me thinking -

A. Did the arrival of BrickLink create a viable alternative to bulk sales
offered by Lego Direct?

Not really. With Bricklink there's never any guarantee about availability of
a certain part. But right now the two together usually make for a good
supply of just about anything you want.

B. Because we have 1,056 (1) sellers on BrickLink, is there any need for
bulk sales from Lego Direct?

Yes, Bricklink is nice for small quantities but if you need stuff in large
amounts it's not the way to go. Also, LEGO doesn't determine price by
looking at how rare something is, but by size/weight/manufacturing cost.
Which means some things are way cheaper from LEGO than from Bricklink. For
instance last year LEGO had some bulk sales at LEGOWorld 2002. The large
BURP's were IIRC Euro 1.50 , on Bricklink prices are usually a lot higher.

C. Do you think BrickLink has had any influence on the decision making
process at Lego Direct regarding the bulk offerings?

Not really, although it might have showed them that they were on the right
track ;)

D. Why do you purchase Lego elements through Shop@Home versus BrickLink?
Or BrickLink over Shop@Home?

Bricklink over S@H : availability of a certain part
S@H over Bricklink : amounts needed

Of course Lego Direct will never (2) match the selection at BrickLink. And
the pricing is often better through BrickLink.

Don't bet the farm on it... look at the Pick-a-Brick, the stores at the
parks with their part sales. They're simply learning how to set it up. And
they are limited in the amount of new releases for each year, which
explains why it takes time.

Personally, I would rather purchase bulk bricks from Lego Direct. Why? I
can't put my finger on it.  Maybe it is just easier to pick up the phone
and say "Yes, I would like 5 10054's, 2 10053's and why not toss in two
packs of blue train windows...."

It sometimes feels more secure and it indeed is easier. LEGO has awesome
service, something which you never know in advance at Bricklink (although I
have yet to encounter any serious issues)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit