 Marketplace / Theory / 2562
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:11:42 GMT

A. Did the arrival of BrickLink create a viable alternative to bulk sales
offered by Lego Direct?

In a sense, yes.  Purchasing recycled bricks (new, and used) has its
advantages, but one would need to look at from TLC's eyes as well.  Do you
not think that services like BL are hurting Lego sales From S@H and
retailers?

B. Because we have 1,056 (1) sellers on BrickLink, is there any need for
bulk sales from Lego Direct?

I do purchase from BL frequently, but BL does not have everything I need.
The bulk of my money still goes to S@H and other retailers.  New Bulk 2x4
bricks are hard to get in large quantity on BL, for example.

C. Do you think BrickLink has had any influence on the decision making
process at Lego Direct regarding the bulk offerings?

I look at it this way.  The less bulk we buy from S@H, the less and less
bilk will be offered.  The latest catalog already seems to have less bulk
for sale.  If we don't support the factions of S@H and TLC that we have been
whining about, asking about, and demanding for all these years - they will
go away.  If it's not profitable for TLC to run certain products, they will
pull them!

From a customers point of view, I can say that I would rather buy from S@H
for all my bulk needs, but when BL shop owners have brand new product for
1/2 the price, why bother?

D. Why do you purchase Lego elements through Shop@Home versus BrickLink? • Or
BrickLink over Shop@Home?

My bulk and per piece purchases are mainly done at BL.  On occassion, I take
advantage of the 15% deal for S@H bulk for items like baseplates and other
non typical BL items (technic packs, etc.).  Again, I would rather buy from
S@H, but this is the real world.  Apples for apples, BL is cheaper on a lot
of items.  If S@H would lower their prices, I'd buy their bulk more.

-Rob