 Marketplace / Theory / 1643
Re: level of interest in 7151 / Sith ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 14:27:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
It's interesting that what everyone is describing here
is basically a "stock market".

You're in the right ball park, but it's a commodity market.

You'd probably have to explain to me the difference...  Is
it that stocks are paper shares of ownership in a company,
whereas commodities are trading actual physical items?  I
was going to put commodities, but only because it sounded
better  :]  For some of the LUGNETers, I figured they may better
be able to relate to "stock market" than "commodity market".

"Market Orders" are when you just say, "get me 20
Galaxy Explorers at any cost".  If 20 appear, you buy them...

Not exactly.  A market order is when you buy at whatever the
market is currently at.  The closest analogy would be Larry's

Well, that's what I meant, but I guess I was ambiguous there.
By using a very rare set like the Gal Ex as my example, there
won't really be a market price, other than what it last sold for,
which could be 6 months ago.  So whatever asking price it
shows up for (Limit Sell Order), that becomes the market
value because our buyer is going to grab it.  I probably
confused some people with that one..., I just should have
said buy it at market value..., but I didn't want to explain
market value  :]

It's too bad the "LEGO market" is so small - Our system has generated
a 400%/annum (it's my job to improve that) rate of return on the
commodities we trade, and it would be great to include LEGO.  8-)

I'm not so sure it's too bad that it is so small.  I don't ever
want to see a time when I can't buy a certain set because my
LEGO broker says there's a 20-set minimum per trade!  :]

KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada