 Marketplace / Shopping / 9360
Re: Tired of Paying for Dirty, Discolored and Damaged LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:41:33 GMT

The Magnificent Hop-Frog writes:
I can tell you that I have certainly come across dirty,  already been
chewed, bubble gum encrusted, snot caked, putty filled, milk spattered,
larvae infested, and otherwise disgusting elements in my time.

In lugnet.market.shopping, Benton Jackson writes:
Please tell me this was just hyperbole, and you didn't actually receive
pieces with LARVAE in it!

Hyperbole?!  I was trying to be nice about it.  When you look at the bottom
of a brick and see some kind of slightly brown, mustard colored stuff packed
in the tubes -- well, you draw your own conclusions. And yes, real larvae --
some dried up, some I just washed out without looking much closer.  More
good reasons to keep bricks out of your mouth and the mouths of your children.

Y'know, there was another thing about grading I was thinking about earlier.
Faulty grading probably proceeds from a thought like "This element is in
great condition considering..." Stop right there!  Considering what?
...It's really old?  ...It's been heat warped in the dishwasher?  ...It's
been all the way through your youngest child after they swallowed it? ...It
was stepped on in 1992?

Everything that follows after the word "considering" is probably a reason to
either not sell it, or to grade it very accurately.

If the sellers on Bricklink are getting slack, or if new sellers are
clueless, maybe they should be directed to my grading URL for at least a
reading, even if the standard is not fully implemented.  Maybe it should be
a requirement of opening a shop or something like that.  Sellers should
certainly have some sense of what is expected of them.  Bricklink is not
eBay, after all!

I would think Dan would have some interest in this from the standpoint of
maintaining the reputation of his site.  I am not saying that Dan has any
real responsibility for the actions of others; merely that he should care
that sellers have some kind of grading reference ready to hand and that they
understand, at least at some minimal level, the concerns of many buyers.

-- Hop-Frog