 Marketplace / Shopping / 9354
Re: Tired of Paying for Dirty, Discolored and Damaged LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:04:14 GMT

Greg Perry stated:

What really gets me about my “taking it” when it comes to these dirty and
damaged parts is that I’ve even ended up giving positive feedback to some of
these buyers.  Having seen the outrageous squabbles that have erupted over
negative feedback (or in some cases over the fact that no feedback was left)
I didn’t feel motivated to get caught up in that.  And, after all, most of
the parts I received from these sellers were fine and the service (contact,
delivery, packaging etc) was usually acceptable.  So I’ve left feedback that
I’ve categorized as “positive” while not gushing (like I normally would) in
the actual written part of the feedback.

I realize now that I’m helping to contribute to these sellers staying in
business and continuing these practices and for that I’m starting to feel
some guilt.

From now on though, I’m going to start notifying sellers of my
dissatisfaction, returning parts for refund, and posting appropriate
feedback whatever the consequences.  After all, that’s why these systems
were developed and put in place – so that other buyers won’t fall victim to
the same practices by these sellers.

I once purchased 8460 and 5580 from the same person in two seperate auctions in
eBay. It was in my early and, dare I say, naive days of purchasing online. Both
sets were described as assembled,  hardly played with, kept on a shelf for
years, and like new condition. I purchased them because the MISB sets were so
much more expensive and they included the manuals.

They came as advertised only I didn't realize that "kept on the shelf for
years" meant and we hadn't dusted in that long of a time either. When I first
opened them I was glad they were sealed in a bag. The yellow pieces on the
crane appeared brown and the white pieces on the truck appeared gray. I was
glad they came assembled, becuase I would never have thought you could have put
those sets together with the non-standard (which is to say the pieces in the
manual did not entirely match the pieces used in its construction).
Fortunately, about 85% (by actual count) of the pieces used were the ones
called for in the set and the ones not included are simple bricks or plates.
Yes, I got lucky. At least the Model Team truck wasn't missing the wind shield.

I borrowed a friends shop vac and cleaned the models off in the garage before
taking them into the house. If cleanliness is next to Godlyness, then these
people were the furthest you could be from God. I mean, isn't it unhealthy to
live in a home where the dust is thicker that the toilet paper? You would have
thought these people lived in a dust bowl. At least they could clean once per
year.

Those models still remain together mostly because the pieces are stuck
together. I know they aren't glued becuase soaking them in warm water will
eventually lead them to release themseleves from each other. I simply haven't
had the time or the patience yet, nor the skills in LEGO artifact restoration,
to dismantle each set and rebuild them. Partly I fear the pieces will never go
back together.

I contacted the seller immediately the day I received them and realized the
condition they were in. They indicated that they had cleaned the models.
UNBELIEVEABLE! Anyway, I left mixed feed back on the eBay site stating came as
stated but that the models were less than acceptable to a collector.

I encourage everyone to state plainly what the issues were with the seller. If
people stop buying from unreputable people maybe they will go away. After all
the buyer has incredible power. When no one comes to shop then the seller can't
make any money.

As for BrickLink, I have just started buying and didn't realize that there was
so much of an issue. That's why I am glad we have this community and can post
our problems and successes here for everyone to learn from.

Todd