 Marketplace / Shopping / 8458
Re: K-Mart Sale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:49:55 GMT

I am inspired by your writings.  Power to the people!

sun

In lugnet.market.shopping, Todd Thuma writes:
I can confirm most of what has been said here in this thread, K-Mart is the
worst of that style of store that I have been in. I compare this to Target,
Wal-Mart, Meire's, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if in the not-to-distant future
K-Mart folded as a chain. I get the feeling from friends, family and
aquaintences that the uncleanliness and the unkept shelves lead many people to
go elsewhere. I have even heard that Wal-Mart managers rally employees under
the cry, "Keep it better than K-Mart." And if you do not have a Target, you
should find the nearest one to you and travel there for vacation. It's
seriously worth it in my opinion.

As for the sales, K-Mart simply does what you tell them. I went in once on an
advertized sale, buy one get one 1/2 off. There were no restrictions and all
sets, new and old, were included. They also had several Adventurers sets
(dozens and dozens of the Egyptian in another part of the store) that were
marked to incredibly low prices.

I decided to purchase one of each of the Egyptian sets that they had to offer.
The $90 set was marked down to $25 and I layed that up on the counter with a
$15 set that I believe was originally $40. They told me it wasn't discounted
and I assured them that the discount sticker made it so. She said that I must
have stolen a pricing gun and placed that on there myself.

Well, I asked to see the supervisor, took him back to the discount shelf where
I got it, in the middle of the seasonal items and not in with the toys. All of
the sets there marked the same and he said he would give me the discount.
On the way back to the counter checkout, he told me that they hadn't had time
to remove the discount stickers from the boxes and that the night crew would
hear about this.

When I got to the register the manager helped the cashier assist me with my
purchase. When the sets rang up, he had to discount them with his magical key.
Then when the final bill didn't add up correctly the cashier stopped him from
leaving. She said this isn't right, it also gave me the 1/2 off on the second
LEGO Set purchase. He paused and said that they would have to ring it up again,
after my credit card had cleared. I reminded him that all sales on discounted
items are final as the sign indicated and that it was unfortunate that his
company and his staff couldn't keep up, but that was hardly my fault. He tried
to explain the situation to me, but I insisted that the laws, which generally
protect the business man and his profits, were quite clear and they protected
the consumer in this case. He finally relented and I was allowed to leave the
store with my $100 purchase (which amounted to nearly $350 dollars in savings
over the original price of the LEGO items purchased that day I had many more
things in my cart, all LEGO sets).

I returned to the store 2 weeks later and the Egyptian Adventure sets were
still in the same place with the same mark down. Long after the buy one get one
50% off sale had lapsed. I guess they never quite got around to it.

I return to that store quite often. I usually spend 30 minutes sorting the
LEGO shelves for them out of the goodness of my heart, and so that I can find
everything. Some of the employees think I am a LEGO Rep. I never buy anything
there unless it's on sale. I have even taken to wirting the price of things on
the product with a grease pencil prior to go to the register. Most of the time,
nearly 90%, the price in the add or on the shelf is not the price at the
register. This goes for everything, not just LEGO Products

Some of the employees that have worked there longer than a year do not even
argue with me any more. They simply discount the item as I instruct them to do
and we leave ammicably. If they are new, I usually have to ask them to bring a
supervisor or manager over, which they are happy to do. Many of them think
their manager will back them up, but they don't. The managers know me and they
simply ask the cashier to move aside while they insert the magical key.

I never have to raise my voice. I simply explain it to them calmly and quitely.
I make no effort to move from the line or the register until I have reviewed
the receipt. If there are any errors, I have the cashier correct it
immediately. This always requires a manager and they sometimes ask me to move
to the service counter. I kindly refuse, stating the error was made here and it
can be corrected here.

If you have ever been stuck in line behind me, my appologies. I wish I had
photos of the dirty looks and tape recordings of the statements made by people
stuck behind me. I could really write an interesting book about this, but I
have only one thing to say. We have this attitude in our daily activity that
seems to say that we must do what the store manager or the establishment tells
us to do. I don't feel that way.

If K-Mart cannot hire enough employees to keep the lines short, then it is not
up to me to be expiedent at the cost of being defrauded by a company that can't
rectify the advertized price with the price in the computer. I waited patiently
while those before me have been taken adavantage of by the giant corporation.
So I simply decided a long time ago that I wouldn't be taken advantage of when
its my turn. I check my receipt and when everything is okay I say thank you an
leave. Don't ask me to step out of line so that the situation can be resolved
while you defraund more innocent citizens. And if your one of those innocent
citizens, do not be angry at me, be angry at the corporation that treats us
like idots and expects us not to care.

Are you paying teller fees for using your bank? I electronically deposit and
they charge me $3.00 every time I see a teller beyond my one freebe per month.
I say NO! Every time I need a teller at a bank I go see the manager. I ask for
the fee to be waved and they do it. Why should I have to pay for them to have
my money. I earned it and they provide the service. Since when am I the
convenience for the business.

Sorry for the rant, but I guess this has bothered me more than my demeanor has
suggested.

The moral of the story is.... If it's worth your time to plead your case, then
you usually get it your way.

I have never walked out of K-Mart without getting it my way. If I ever do, I
intend to have my money refunded to me immediately and walk out and never, I
mean never, return. I like Target better anyway.

Thank you for your vaulable time in reading this.

Todd