 Marketplace / Shopping / 1960
  Toys R Us Experience

To all, I went to TRU last night on a rare night off to get some LEGO. I went there, the store is finally calming down, it looked decent (Well, they moved to a new store, but it is still TRU) and went to the LEGO aisle. They restocked it to some (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Whoa, there, calm down, boy. I work at a ToysRUs in Central Ohio, and I can assure you that that cashier was one in a million. All of the cashiers we hire are trained to be as nice as possible, especially during the holiday season. I'm glad you (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Joel, (...) Well, I am sure if you ask around LUGNET, at home, or here at AEI, I am rarely calm. But I was extremely calm last night when this happened. Maybe an "Evil" calm... :) (...) Well, this is one instance, but I have had other experiences. (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Well, (...) I know that at my store, I don't know about others, if we don't listen to management or do what they want, we're gone. Plain and simple. Doing that would eliminate the chance of other people having the same experience with that same (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Joel... Great to hear you work for TRU.... we could all use an inside man to let us know of the national sales about a week in advance...(hint) Thanks and keep up the great work... Dave Joel VanAtta <CompGuy926@aol.com> wrote in message (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Dave Jost wrote in message ... (...) Don't count on it, I suspect that would be a violation of Lugnets TOS... Frank (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) ...not to mention that most of TRU's sales aren't anything to faint over anyways. best LFB (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

"Doing some late night (...) I have the ultimate TRU rudeness story. About 1 week ago, I was taking inventory of the lego sets for my site (coming soon) and a clerk comes up to me and the following occured- Clerk- "what are you doing?" Me- "taking (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) How so? James (URL) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) If he leaks inside information. It would also probably be a violation of his terms of employment. It is also unlikely he has access to the information. Most retailers are very protective of their marketting plans. (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) This is something retailers are extremely sensitive about. The manager was assuming you were a "spy" for another retailer. I'm not sure what their exact protections under the law are, but from a purely Libertarian perspective, they have every (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) Stunningly pointless, IMHO. The measures that a store puts into place to prevent "spying" are invariably going to cost more than the potential loss of revenue. Again, IMHO, the potential loss of revenue is diddly squat - especially when (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) Ah, ok. I must not have had enough coffee yet today - I missed that angle. But any national sale which isn't in a flyer a week ahead of time is a poorly marketed national sale. ;) James (URL) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) There was a pretty famous case from a few years back of a guy who was (I believe) arrested for taking down prices and product information at a Good Guys. His trial was covered on "48 Hours" or one of those other news shows. In his case, he had (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) <snipped> (...) Interesting experience and query. I have myself begun to collect stock position information for various stores which have NOS lying around. Typically I do this where they insist on sticking with MSRP. This allows me to locate a (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Say what? The weekly sales (that are nationwide) RARELY get out to the consumers before Sat evening at the earliest, for sales that start Sunday. Unless you are on their mailing list, and even then, they try to get the circulars to you as close to (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) Really? I don't pay a whole lot of attention to flyers and such (they typically go straight into recycle), so I basically assumed. Wow. Why on earth would they not want to advertise a sale ahead of time? Since you imply its common, I suppose (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Because of the idiots who would then go into the store with the ad and demand the sale price, too lazy to look at the dates the sale is good for, most likely. (...) ***(URL) Visual FAQ home ***(URL) Bay Area DSMs (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

Also becuase it might siphon sales at full-price. I.e., why but it today... wait two days and save 25% :) Ray (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)

  Re: Toys R Us Experience

(...) If you want to question the manager's behaviour, it's best to go over his head. It's a corporation, so find out who his superior is--at the very least, you'll get a complete explanation of why he behaved the way he did, straight from the (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory)