 Marketplace / Shopping / 1984
Re: Toys R Us Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 20:57:55 GMT

Rich Manzo wrote:

  I have the ultimate TRU rudeness story. About 1 week ago, I was taking
inventory of the lego sets for my site (coming soon) and a clerk comes up to
me and the following occured-
Clerk- "what are you doing?"
Me- "taking inventory of the lego sets"
clerk- "Do you work here?"
Me- No, im taking inventory for my website"
clerk-"you shouldn't be doing that"
me- "why?"
  (No Response, Walks away)
about 3 minutes later that same clerk and a manager came back-
Manager- "Excuse me sir, you cannot do that"
Me- "Why not?
manager- "just DONT do it"
Me- "Why not, last time I checked I have a right to write things down in a
store!"
Manager- "Stop, or I will ask you to leave the store."
Me- "You cannot do that im not doing anything wrong!"
Manager- "leave or I will call security to remove you"
Me- "fine!"

  So I then left the store. However later on that day, after that managers
shift was over,  got dressed in a white shirt and tie, and went back to finish
taking inventory. Nobody came up to me that time.
The strangest part of this is that I cant even file a complaint. Who can I
file it to? Not the manager. Did I do anything wrong?

If you want to question the manager's behaviour, it's best to go over his head.
It's a corporation, so find out who his superior is--at the very least, you'll get
a complete explanation of why he behaved the way he did, straight from the
source--but I have a feeling it's precisely what others have said, that
inventories are very sensitive.  It's the same reason why door greeters at places
like Target, Meijer, Wal-Mart and the like are supposed to detain anyone walking
in with a camera--you're not allowed to take photos of their merchandising and
displays that might compromise their expensive strategies.

best,

Lindsay

PS:  If you really are innocuous, try to sound innocuous.  Just say that you're
writing down what sets they have so you can pass it along to a friend who's
looking for a few things.  In a basic sense, that's not untrue (pardon double
negative), and it doesn't raise the spectre of wider distribution of the
information ("I'm putting it up on my website").