 Marketplace / Shopping / 1975
Re: Toys R Us Experience
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 16:43:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Frank Filz writes:
This is something retailers are extremely sensitive about. The manager
was assuming you were a "spy" for another retailer. I'm not sure what
their exact protections under the law are, but from a purely Libertarian
perspective, they have every right to throw you out of the store.

When taken to extremes, this sort of thing does make it hard to price
shop. I would hope that most stores would allow you to write down the
prices and quantities available of a handfull of items you were shopping
for, but I have no problem with them wanting to try and stop other
retailers from "spying" on them.

Stunningly pointless, IMHO.  The measures that a store puts into place to
prevent "spying" are invariably going to cost more than the potential loss of
revenue.  Again, IMHO, the potential loss of revenue is diddly squat -
especially when talking about a very common brand name at MSRP (a very common
brand name on sale needs to be advertised to maximize revenue generation, and
a very common brand name on clearance has already lost most of its revenue
potential anyway).

And as a completely different point, that information needs to be freely
available for the market to work efficiently anyway.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/