 Marketplace / Shipping / 519
Re: International Shipping (was Re: auction help and 5986, Amazon Ancient Ruins)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Rob Doucette writes:
I always check 'Merchandise' on the customs form; it is my understanding
that checking 'gift' would constitute fraud (invoice in package, etc.)

That is correct.  Nickle and Dime stuff that the PO will never tag you for,
but still fraud.  As a note, you don't need to check off any of those boxes;
I always just write "Lego toys" in the descriptor, attach the correct dollar
value for the order and leave all the boxes unchecked.

James

There is a running thread (somewhere else) where I pointed out the page [1][2]
in the USPS International Mail Manual (IMM) that documents that packages being
shipped via Airmail Letter Post AND weighing less than 1 pound AND "are not
potentially dutiable" do not require a customs form. The determination of
"potentially dutiable" appears to be one involving the shipper and addressee,
as the post office does not wish to have knowledge of customs regulations of
other countries. Note the phrase in 131.34 "Postal employees must not attempt
to inform customers whether articles (gifts or commercial shipments) will be
subject to customs duty."

When in doubt, consult the IMM. When a disagreement with a postal retail clerk
occurs, ask them to pull the IMM and have the revelant chapter numbers ready.

Ray

[1] <http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc1.html#0.2.2O24PZ.EBFYHO.3EO0IG.2>

[2] <http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immc2_015.html#eSKDw1cbwats>