 Marketplace / Auctions / 9286
9285  |  9287
Subject:
International Shipping (was Re: auction help and 5986, Amazon Ancient Ruins)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:55:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Huw Millington writes:

"George Haberberger" <George.Haberberger@usa.xerox.com> wrote in message
Hello,

I'm selling my first item on ebay, a 5986 I got a Target a few summers • back.
Oddly though, no one is interested in it, but the same thing from another
ebay seller is up to $56,

SNIP

Does anyone have any ideas why, is it because my picture is poor, or my • ebay
ranking is low?

Well, it doesn't help that you won't ship abroad.

Since cleared up in another post.

<rant not directed at George in particular>

I never understand what the big deal is over writing a different address on
the parcel and applying a customs sticker. Sure, the risk is slightly
higher, but in the 7 years I have been sending LEGO back and forth over the
Atlantic, nothing has ever got lost.

I ship internationally (at least 40%), and do enjoy buying and selling
overseas (Europe and Asia, mostly).  Recently, shipping to the UK has proven
to be a royal pain in the butt (no pun intended ;-), followed closely by the
Netherlands.  The last 2 packages (both AirMail Letter Post, <4 lbs.) were
not delivered, one is MIA, one was returned.  A package to the Netherlands
was returned after 4 months and was successfully shipped a second time, no
reason given for its return.

Could someone knowledgeable with the UK postal system have a look at this
package scan and diagnose the reason for the package return?:
http://www.doucettenet.com/lego/package.jpg
I'm told that the package was addressed correctly.

What is the purpose/meaning of the 3 labels (marked 1, 2, 3) applied to the
package?

One of the labels refers to this notice which was updated in March 2002:
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm#P79_5668

I wish the process was as easy as "writing a different address on the parcel
and applying a customs sticker" but it clearly is not.

-Rob Doucette.