 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9180
Re: FS-Pirate & Town Sets Mint In Sealed Boxes/Pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:53:46 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Paul Rutenberg writes:
Hello
Thought you had something for sale and not setting up your own little
Auction house here in buy/sell/trade, what you are doing here is wrong,
and absolutly in the wrong place, want to Auction, put it in an Auction
house where i can see if i have bid enough or not, what are you going to
do with peaple that bid $1.00 under somebody else, write him and ask if
he wants to bid more??  If you have something for sale, put a price on it
or go to Ebay.

I agree with you, but we're in the minority. Todd has decided that OBO (or
best offer) sales (sealed bid auctions) are not auctions in the meaning that
the ToS uses and therefore are allowed here.

If the seller uses offers to solicit progressively higher offers, it's an
auction.  If the offers stay independent of one other, it's not an auction.
(SBA's and OBO's aren't true auctions in the spirit of what makes an auction
an auction.)

http://news.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=546
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=2757

There are a lot of posts discussing this in admin.general... you can even
find Todd's exact post where he uses an analogy to make his case (a scarf is
not a glove, or something like that, I forget and am too lazy to look it up)

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5873

that posting a list of items, asking for offers (sealed bids) and selling to
the highest offer (bidder) is not an auction.

http://news.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=946

--Todd