 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9203
Re: FS-Pirate & Town Sets Mint In Sealed Boxes/Pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman writes:

I agree.  Maybe it's time to kill .buy-sell-trade and .auction and replace
them with:

  .barter
     Exchange of goods for goods -- rather than goods for money.
     (The word "trade" has too many different meanings.)

Heh.  Good luck trying to pin down an english word that means "trading goods
for goods" that can't in some way be construed to invlove money.  I can haggle
over a price with you and call it bartering, after all.  :D

  .forsale.auction
     Traditional auctions, SBA's, and OBO's.  Anything non-fixed price.
     (".auction" is just a label here; it would be more accurately called
     ".variable" or ".negotiated", but probably more widely understood as
     ".auction")

  .forsale.fixed
     Fixed-price straight sales -- no negotiations.

  .wanted
     Hopeful/wishful want-lists as well as concrete offers to buy.

I think these groups would be better defined than the current system, and
therefore represent a step forward as opposed to a step back, or a change just
for the sake of change (step sideways?).

Which is my way of saying I think it would be a good thing.

eric