 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9196
Re: FS-Pirate & Town Sets Mint In Sealed Boxes/Pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 02:04:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Eric Joslin writes:
Stop press! I agree with you as well.  OBOs, in my experience, often turn
into the seller emailing me back and saying that someone has made an offer
of $X, would I care to offer more?

Eeek!  Then they're running an auction!

They also have the potential for other auction-ish abuses,

I wouldn't call it an "auction-ish" abuse; isn't it simply a human-nature-ish
abuse of human-nature that happens to appear naturally in, among many other
places, the dynamics of OBO sales as well as auctions?  It's just as much an
OBO-ish abuse as it is an auction-ish abuse.

such as the seller not selling to *anyone* if they don't submit an
offer over a certain level, and trying again later, like the reserve price on
eBay.

I'd find buy-sell-trade a lot more useful if the only thing allowed were
straight sales; that is, the seller offering something for a set price, first
come, first served.

I agree.  Maybe it's time to kill .buy-sell-trade and .auction and replace
them with:

   .barter
      Exchange of goods for goods -- rather than goods for money.
      (The word "trade" has too many different meanings.)

   .forsale.auction
      Traditional auctions, SBA's, and OBO's.  Anything non-fixed price.
      (".auction" is just a label here; it would be more accurately called
      ".variable" or ".negotiated", but probably more widely understood as
      ".auction")

   .forsale.fixed
      Fixed-price straight sales -- no negotiations.

   .wanted
      Hopeful/wishful want-lists as well as concrete offers to buy.

--Todd