 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 9210
Re: FS-Pirate & Town Sets Mint In Sealed Boxes/Pack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:23:13 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Todd Lehman writes:

Yeah.  OK, how about .swap?  Well, that's probably too close to what
.jambalaya is about.

Yeah.  Hmm.  I dunno.  I was just making trouble, frankly I think .trade or
.barter or even .swap would be fine.  If you define the group as being
specifically for trading LEGO for non-money (or non-money for non-money, if
you feel ok about Lugnet being used for negotiating swaps with no Lego
involved), I don't think there would be too many misplaced posts.

I'd vote for .swap.

I have no problem with all systems which solicit several cash offers and
pick the best offer as auctions. That could even be done without
changing the newsgroup names. The things I would be in favor of for more
categorization would be:

- a separate group for auction updates (messages who'se purpose is to
present the highest offers received so far and solicit for even higher
offers). My reason for this is I don't want to wade through numerous
updates for an auction I've already decided I'm not interested in. I'd
feel less strongly about this if people could figure out how to thread
their updates.

- a separate group for announcements of auctions which are using a third
party service, especially eBay auctions. Reason: at least eBay, if I'm
shopping, I read through pretty much all the new auctions for the day,
so a notice on Lugnet is generally wasted. If I haven't been shopping
lately, I might skim this group to see if there is something I might
want.

- a separate group for "ebay auction ending in 2 hours". Reason: these
messages are an extreme waste, even if it's 24 hours. I'm either
following your auction, or by the time I see the message, the auction is
probably over.

But what if they have a set they want to get rid of, but want unspecified LEGO
in return instead of money?  The name of the .wanted group (to me) implies you
know what it is you want and are looking for someone to give it to you.

Yup, I've even done this recently. Of course none of the bites resulted
in a deal.

Actually, between Brickbay and the near monopoly of eBay, I'm seeing
less and less value to the market groups other than shopping and a place
to post "wanted" adds.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com