 Administrative / General / 5873
Re: 8480 Technic Shuttles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:24:47 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
BTW, I wasn't really fulminating at you, Rob--I was just consterned at this
being raised again (and maybe feeling singled out), when I thought that
definitive policy had been articulated, for better or for worse.  I was very
much in sync with Larry's understanding that OBO goes in b-s-t, not by
consensus opinion (or even his own) but by LUGNET policy.  It appears I was
mistaken!

No, you've got it right -- OBOs do belong in .buy-sell-trade.  Considering
the best offer among multiple offers is a completely natural part of putting
something up for sale or possible sale.  SBAs belong in .auction.  The two
are similar in underlying algorithm but very different in human perception.

The original discussion only started because someone felt it was inappropriate
to post an OBO into .buy-sell-trade...they said that an OBO sales were a kind
of auction.  An OBO sale is about as much an auction as a scarf is a glove.

--Todd