 Marketplace / Auctions / 452
Re: AucZILLA IX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 07:09:39 GMT

Hi Todd,

A little bit off topic, but is there any progress about my right wings?..:-)

Selçuk
Todd Lehman wrote in message <36927ab0.3139355@lugnet.com>...
Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> writes:

LINC is being melodramatic. I'm actually quite amenable to splits,
because Tood, or his software(1), has a habit of putting sure to be hot
pieces into single lots so that bidders go for them instead of several
lots so everyone gets some.

That's not what it does -- or, that's not its intent.  All it does is look
for a "happy medium" between lot repetition and lot price.  When it chooses
the lot size, it tries to avoid duplicate-lot cardinalities that are too
large or too small and to avoid lot opening-bids that are too high or too
low.  Examples of something it would try to avoid, assuming it had to
consider what to do with 5000 White 1x1 Bricks:  (a) 1 lot of 5000 White • 1x1
bricks for $100.00 each, (b) 1000 lots of 5 White 1x1 Bricks for $.10 each.
Instead it would probably go with something like (c) 10 lots of 500 White
1x1 bricks for $10.00 each.  So it analyzes a bunch of possibilities and
tries to choose the happy medium -- using fuzzy logic and some funky math
curves.  There is an additional tweak that I can make to an element type
across the board that says it the element prefers generally "small" or
"medium" or "large" lots or that it always has to be sold individually. • But
all of this is going the way of the dino someday, because I want people to
be able to pick their own lot sizes.

Another thing to keep in mind -- the AucZILLA series of auctions was
designed from its inception to be as much a "bulk" and "large quantities"
type of thing as possible.  So things often tend toward the large.  All
things being equal, I'd rather divvy out 10 of something to one person than
2 of something to each of 5 people.  It's faster and there's less
possibility of errors.  But I realize that all things are seldom equal.  :)

--Todd

This drives his profit up a bit... Ok, a