 Marketplace / Auctions / 3905
Re: Ebay auction advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:38:40 GMT

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:11:38 GMT, Tom Stangl <toms@netscape.com> wrote:

Alan Demlow wrote:
--Is it OK to download scans from Brickshelf and host them on my own
account for use in auction descriptions?  (I'm assuming it is, as long as
proper copyright disclaimer is given, but would rather have somebody tell
me so for sure!)

I don't see why it wouldn't be.  However, I just link to the directions, and
credit Brickshelf in the bottom of my postings.

You can also link to the item page on lugnet, but in my experience, actual
pictures of your items seem to really help.  I use a digital camera to make it
easier, just snap, download to pc and put in listing.  Or take pictures on
film, an develop/scan or get them developed on disk or photo-cd.  This takes
a bit longer than just linking to catalog pictures, but is worth the effort.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Spend some time on your listings, it's worth it.  Take the time to make a nice
HTML page, and use a pic of the actual set if it is used.

See http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=235387778 as an
example - I've done very well with my 5571 sales, and several people have asked
to borrow the format, as I often sell them for much higher than other 5571s
selling at the same time.  Do a View Source of that page, and look at everything
inside the BLOCKQUOTE tags - that's what I built on a page on my local machine,
then cut out of the BODY tags to paste into the Ebay listing.

Also, use the gallery (25 cents extra per auction) for better exposure.  The
gallery lets users see auctions by picture, and usually brings a higher final
value for most items.  I got MUCH better results on identical items when I
listed them in the gallery (Supercar is a good case in point).

If you plan on running a LOT of eBay auctions, consider auction software.  I
use Blackthorne's Auction Assistant Pro, which is currently still in beta and
can be used for 90 days evaluation.  They also have a less costly classic
version with the same evaluation period.  These programs not only help you
list items, they also help handle other auction activities (emails, sale
tracking, feedback, image management, etc.).

http://www.blackthornesw.com/bthome/

See http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=235687471 for an
example.

BTW, Blackthorne Software was recently purchased by eBay and I expect their
products to improve greatly over the coming months.

Rob

|  Rob Farver - rfarver@rcn.com             |
http://www.farver.com/lego/              |
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/rfarver  |