 Marketplace / Auctions / 3904
Re: Ebay auction advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:11:38 GMT

Alan Demlow wrote:

Hi.  I'm planning to run a moderate-sized auction of about 20 sets on Ebay
starting in a couple of days.  So, I'm soliciting advice.

--Is it best to run an auction for 3 days, 7 days, or 10 days?

Others will probably disagree, but I have the best luck with 10day.  But if you
want to get rid of them fast, do a 3day, but MAKE SURE to note in the title that
it is 3day.

--Should I start the auction so it will hit more weekends, or have people
had better luck ending auctions on weekdays?

Don't end it on a weekend - lots of people bid from work or school, or are too
busy on the weekends.

--Is it OK to download scans from Brickshelf and host them on my own
account for use in auction descriptions?  (I'm assuming it is, as long as
proper copyright disclaimer is given, but would rather have somebody tell
me so for sure!)

I don't see why it wouldn't be.  However, I just link to the directions, and
credit Brickshelf in the bottom of my postings.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Spend some time on your listings, it's worth it.  Take the time to make a nice
HTML page, and use a pic of the actual set if it is used.

See http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=235387778 as an
example - I've done very well with my 5571 sales, and several people have asked
to borrow the format, as I often sell them for much higher than other 5571s
selling at the same time.  Do a View Source of that page, and look at everything
inside the BLOCKQUOTE tags - that's what I built on a page on my local machine,
then cut out of the BODY tags to paste into the Ebay listing.