 Marketplace / Auctions / 3682
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 03:27:53 GMT

James Brown wrote:

The difference is that eBay (unlike a caller) isn't doing any
flogging/promotion for the item.  That's my main point.  eBay provides an
interface, but that's it.  My other point (only implied, mostly) is that eBay
will (IMHO) promote the idea that they don't auction, because it removes them
from the responsibility loop, and they're big fans of not being responsible.

Which is fine until someone somes along and tries to sell something not
within the TOS. Then eBay 'censors' the seller & auction by removing it.
eBay is trying to walk a fine-line between having no responsibility (a
common-carrier auction site if you will) and a benevolent 'partner'
(more like AOL than a common-carrier). eBay is trying to have it both
ways. eBay is an electronic mechanism that connects bidders & sellers
and manages the flow of the auction. eBay is also human beings making
concious decisions and 'when an auction should be shut down'. Who was it
that got their auctions killed by trying to make a point about the
scalping of the McDonald's sets, Was that Lar ?

Ray