 Marketplace / Auctions / 3667
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 19:37:39 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Jim Piccuito wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Arthur writes:
Can it not be argued that it is ebay that is doing the auctioning?

Sorry to say but, Ebay is a server they provide the services we are the ones
in control of the auctions we sell. Just like a web page, AOL, ect. is the
server. You are the one that controls the page.

I think there are arguments against that.  eBay must just provide the service,
but they also run the auction.  The seller sets some of the parameters (starting
bid, duration of auction, visibility), but the seller does not set bid
increments, collect bids, nor close the auction.

So I'd say it's a least a lot gray.

Steve