 Marketplace / Auctions / 3657
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:59:22 GMT

I got a little carried away. Sure, you could easily make the lots viewable
locally. Still at best, the Massachusetts law (and others) is ill-worded to
apply to online auctions. Which underscores the real risk, that existing laws
will be clumsily applied to Internet activities. Meanwhile North Carolina is
the state specifically trying to regulate eBay activities, after revising their
statute this year. I have not seen this NC statute.

Maybe NC will only be interested in the power sellers after all, maybe not. And
it depends on whether they do get complaints.

I'm looking for precedents in another area, mail bid sales of coins, where I
have not noticed too many license numbers even on dealers who make a living off
monthly mail auctions. These dealers do include a clause saying all lots can be
viewed by appointment in such and such a place, which is only sensible.

The wording of all the statutes I have viewed is oriented toward open outcry,
public auctions (I can almost hear the mooing.) However, more states after NC
are likely to try to revise that.

You still don't need a license to call yourself a Psychotherapist in New York.

-the other Erik

In lugnet.market.auction, Eric Joslin writes:

In lugnet.market.auction, Erik Olson writes:

Then the Massachusetts law says that all lots for sale by auction must be
on public display. This would leave absolutely no room for anyone in
Massachusetts to auction anything, anyhow online.

Umm, not true.

You put it up for auction.  You put it on display (in, say, a store).  Someone
can bid without going to the public showing.  The law is only meant to
guarantee that bidders *can* examine the lot for bidding *if the desire*.  If
you're in Tokyo, and want to waive that right, it's your choice.

I have a friend who owns a store- he could easily put the items on display
there.  In fact, that would allow him to get in a free plug for his store
(which eBay would probably otherwise frown on)... I should mention that to
him...

eric