 Marketplace / Auctions / 3646
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:24:59 GMT

Ugghhhhh!  Until someone (who can afford to lose!) challenges these laws,
sites like eBay are going to become little more than online professional
flea markets.  I pity the cyber-granny that attempts to auction off some
antique only to be slapped with a huge fine for violating an obscure law she
had no reason to know anything about.

I'm also wondering if the states are going to go so far as to prosecute
someone who ends up selling to a resident within their jurisdiction.
Imagine the guilt associated with finding out that your great deal cost
someone a sizeable fine!

Will