 Marketplace / Auctions / 3655
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:41:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Erik Olson writes:

Then the Massachusetts law says that all lots for sale by auction must be
on public display. This would leave absolutely no room for anyone in
Massachusetts to auction anything, anyhow online.

Umm, not true.

You put it up for auction.  You put it on display (in, say, a store).  Someone
can bid without going to the public showing.  The law is only meant to
guarantee that bidders *can* examine the lot for bidding *if the desire*.  If
you're in Tokyo, and want to waive that right, it's your choice.

I have a friend who owns a store- he could easily put the items on display
there.  In fact, that would allow him to get in a free plug for his store
(which eBay would probably otherwise frown on)... I should mention that to
him...

eric