 Marketplace / Auctions / 3665
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 18:43:48 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Frank Filz writes:
Jim Piccuito wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Arthur writes:
Can it not be argued that it is ebay that is doing the auctioning?

Sorry to say but, Ebay is a server they provide the services we are the ones
in control of the auctions we sell. Just like a web page, AOL, ect. is the
server. You are the one that controls the page.

No, eBay is the auctioneer. You don't submit bids to the sellers, you
submit bids to eBay. I doubt you need to get a license (which in NC
requires training and passing a test) to hire an auctioneer to dispose
of poor deceased aunt Mary's estate.

Actually, no.  Ebay is "only a venue" - which is the electronic equivalent of
an auction house.  They provide a "place" and advertising, whereas any actual
auctioning that's done is by the people who buy time.

If I am the auctioneer, and not eBay, then why can't I set the terms of
bidding (minimum raises, how the auction ends, etc)? It seems to me that
semantically, eBay is the auctioneer.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com