 Marketplace / Auctions / 3653
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:14:32 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

A co-worker called my attention to a scary article yesterday. I believe it was
the Dec 7 issue of ComputerWorld tabloid (URL below.) The State of North
Carolina has determined that residents must be licensed by the state to sell on
online auction sites such as eBay.

There was an article in the Raleigh (NC) News and Observer within the
last two weeks about this. What it said was that "buying to auction" is
what is covered, thus, someone auctioning off their old goods is
definitely ok. I suspect they also will not go after small potatoes.

The article did mention one thing which could be an advantage of such
regulation, apparently one of the uses of the license fee is a fund to
compensate buyers ripped off by auctioneers. Of course this would be
best handled by the online auction site. eBay for example could offer a
"bonding" service to their power sellers, for an additional 1% (or less)
fee on each auction, they would be bonded, and would then be listed as
such, which would offer buyer confidence, and thus presumably higher
bids on average.

Online resources:

ComputerWorld article
http://www.computerworld.com/home/print.nsf/all/991206CFDA

SC Auctioneer's Commission
http://www.llr.state.sc.us/auc.htm

State of Massachusetts: Chapter 100 licensing Auctioneers
http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/gl-100-toc.htm

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com