 Marketplace / Auctions / 3652
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:10:55 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Ben Roller writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Jim Piccuito writes:
I believe that these laws are only for auctions trying to make big profit.

So pretty much it only applies to eBay powersellers?  Not very comforting.

I technically live in one state, but currently reside in another.  Which
state's rules would apply to me?  Is it a misrepresentation to list one state
in eBay and actually ship from another?

Ben Roller

Every State has some kind of law or regulation on Auctions. Some states are
different than others. Say I live in Maine, but really I am selling from MASS.
MASS law says I must have a non-resident licence to auction any item for
profit. Really, untill they change the writing and include online auctions we
are okay. If anything ever did happen, there is a enough legislative power to
fight it.

Jim Piccuito