 Marketplace / Auctions / 3673
Re: States Go After Online Auctions; $1000 fines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:15:08 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Doug Finney writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, James Brown writes:

Ebay determines the conditions under which you may auction things using their
venue (including min bids, increments, etc), but they do not actually auction
anything.  They sell eSpace to auctioneers.  This is (among other things) one
of the ways eBay avoids responsibility for pretty much anything that happens
there.

But isn't that analogous to real-world auction houses? They typically aren't
actually auctioning anything either, just providing a venue and a caller
(didn't want to call them auctioneers to avoid term confusion) in exchange
for a percentage of the take.

Not that I'm saying you're wrong, just that I'm not following your arguement.

The difference is that eBay (unlike a caller) isn't doing any
flogging/promotion for the item.  That's my main point.  eBay provides an
interface, but that's it.  My other point (only implied, mostly) is that eBay
will (IMHO) promote the idea that they don't auction, because it removes them
from the responsibility loop, and they're big fans of not being responsible.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/