 Marketplace / Auctions / 3325
Re: What is the exact meaning of MIB?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:27:05 GMT

Jeff Boen wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Arthur writes:
MISB = Sealed Box
MIB = Mint condition, but in box.

Neither term refers to the general condition of the box in any other way...
which is a point which often leads to problems.

Scott A

although i have seen some auctions where the seller is saavy enough to put

MIMB=Mint in Mint Box

meaning that the set is mint and it is in a sealed box that is also in mint
condition... although this is usually just for sets that are in current
release.. i've come across very few older sets that don't have *some* amount of
shelf wear

It would be nice if we could get all the eBay sellers to settle on some
standard terms for LEGO sets, the categories I would most like to see
would be:

MIMB - Unopened set, box in mint condition
MISB - Unopened set, box is shelfworn
NISB - Unopened set, box is battered
NIB  - Box is unsealed but all bags are intact
Complete w/box - used, box is porvided, notes in description if
condition of box is either very good or very poor, same for condition of
instructions. Seller has built the set to verify completeness, or has
verified the parts against a recognized inventory
Complete w/o instructions - used, seller has verified parts as above,
instructions from Brickshelf may be included (should be noted)

Things which should be specified:

- smoke free seller
- used bricks have been cleaned
- worn or chewed parts
- condition/presence of stickers

In general, I want sellers to concentrate on the quality of the bricks.
I am interested in boxes, so I do want to know their general condition,
but unless the box is absolutely mint, or is torn, I doubt there's much
effect on value (this may be a little different for 70s or older sets
where there may not be enough basically mint condition boxes to satisfy
the serious collectors, in which case they will want the best condition
box they can find and afford). For the rest of us, we want to play with
the bricks. Knowing that a set is sealed in worthwhile because then we
don't have to worry about it being missing anything important, and don't
have to depend on the seller's knowledge of LEGO. Of course for many
sets, I'd just as soon get the complete used set with bricks in good
condition, for a few bucks less. If there is a box in whatever shape,
that's nice, but not absolutely necessary.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com