 Marketplace / Auctions / 2634
Re: Another ebay scammer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 12:37:00 GMT

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:

An email to a bidder with the S@H phone number is bid siphoning under
eBay TOS.
And eBay TOS applies to you whether you are registered as a bidder or
seller or not.
(it applies as of the moment you view the first eBay page, your viewing
is considered acceptance)

Hmm.  Curiousity.  What about e-mailing a bidder after the auction is over?
What if you wait until the auction is over, and then provide neutral feedback?
Could eBay legitimately gripe if I went out and bid on one of these 'rare'
sets, and then after the fact, complained that the seller had misled me?

If you won the bid, it probably wouldn't be against the TOS to leave a
comment that you felt swindled, but you would not have recourse to back
out of the purchase because of this (note that even Todd doesn't allow
this for Auczilla). Once you bid, you are entering into a contract with
the seller. eBay does allow retracting of bids, though they allow the
seller and any other bidders to leave negative feedback (but most
everyone realizes that sometimes you make a typing mistake, and forget
the decimal point on a bid, and if you realize soon enough, and are
reasonable about it, and especially if you submit a corrected bid of at
least what the auction had got to already, no one will complain (one
thing I would like to see in proxy systems is the ability to reduce your
bid without penalty to anything that would leave you holding the item at
the current bid).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com