 Local / United States / North Carolina / Raleigh / 200
Re: I'll be visiting this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral, lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 20:46:28 GMT

"Franklin W. Cain" <fwcain@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.loc.us.nc.ral, Frank Filz writes:

[ ... snipped ... ]

Hmm....  Well, I've had Chinese today and yesterday,
so I'd prefer something else, unless everyone else
is set on Chinese.

Also, the convention is planning an Italian dinner
on Saturday evening, so ditto for Italian,
unless it's a family-run restaurant, which is often
a really *good* Italian place, then it'd be OK by me.  ;-)

In general, I like Chinese, Mexican, Italian,
seafood, and "American" (steakhouses, barbequeue,
breakfast places, variety, etc.).

I've had some good experiences with Thai/Vietnamese[?]
(peppermint chicken, IIRC, was what I like best).

I also like some Greek food (LAMB!!! snarf,
munch, munch, munch).

However, I've not yet found anything in Indian cuisine
that I liked.... Sorry.  :-(

Also, wherever we go, we'll need the non-smoking section
as I have *serious* allergy/sinus problems.  :-P

Well unfortunately, you are coming to one of the most tobacco friendly
states in the US!  Believe it or not, there are still some restaurants that
don't have a non-smoking section although finding them in the part of town
where you will be is unlikely.

From where you will be (the Crabtree Valley area), it isn't far to a whole
collection of very good, non-chain restaurants in downtown Raleigh (such as
downtown is) and it doesn't take long to get there either (10 minutes
maybe).

Who am I to offer up a suggestion since I won't be joining the group for
dinner but since I am inserting myself,  I would suggest going to 518 West
(great food, reasonable prices), 42nd Street Oyster Bar (seafood, a little
more expensive), or even better, Hard Times Cafe (probably the cheapest of
the three, excellent chili - I personally like Texas 4-way).  518 West
doesn't take reservations and seating a group of more than four can be tough
sometimes but their food is excellent (although I still prefer to go to 411
West in Chapel Hill given the choice).

BTW - where are you coming from?

My $0.02 - FWIW!

Mike