Re: Gathering Saturday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:55:01 GMT

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:GAsDxw.Dnu@lugnet.com...

| Cary - can you offer up some details on your building?  In the few minutes
| I had a chance to look at it, it looks great.  Do you plan to add a roof
| to all of it or will part of it remain open?

First, thanks to Frank for his generous trades, and to everyone for their praise. Last night I replaced the door hinges with his
white ones; it was one of those minor details that could have kept me from working on it, but now that it's all the right color, I
feel motivated.

I plan to match the front roof with a removable back section. I think this will end up being my first four-walled building. I still
want to make the interior accessable, so the temple-part will have a removable roof and the entire temple will lift off the ground
floor. The ground floor, which I haven't started, will be in light grey and primarily be a staircase that leads up to the main
level.

I started from the columns, and then built the portico, and then took a trip to Charleston where I saw the US Customs House. Then I
saw what type of building I was building.

http://www.customs.gov/portsite/charles/photos.htm

(I just searched for and found the pictures. My building is much smaller and less grand -- but still, these pictures are a good
inspiration.)

The one detail I'd like to puzzle out can be seen in this picture:

http://www.customs.gov/portsite/charles/images/marketv.jpg

The lower level is made of a large coarse grey block with a sizable mortar line. Maybe I'll alternate light grey bricks with dark
grey plates.

Cary