Re: Gathering Saturday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nc
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:43:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.nc, Frank Filz writes:
Well, I think a good time was had by all. I didn't get the place as
clean as I had hoped, but the sofa actually got uncovered (to quickly be
covered by my bins of windows when I started trying to trade with Cary),
and I got enough space cleared around the table that things weren't too
bad (though poor James always seemed to be in the way). Of course, as
usual, I was to busy to get out the camera (until we needed pictures of
the picks from Uncle Dan's stuff that Sheree and Cary made).

Cary brought along his in progress court house. Thomas brought along his
pirate base. We ogled the Ogel sets (and the rest of the Alpha Team),
looked at the new Belville, looked at the pens, and a few other things.

We had lots of trading. Cary and Thomas both brought lots of stuff for
trading and of course we also had Uncle Dan's box.

After a long day, we sent Sheree off to scrounge food at home, and
Thomas finally decided it was going to be a late arrival at home anyway,
so we went off to get Indian food at 8:30, and sent Thomas on his way a
little after 10:00.

I think next time we need to think about ordering pizza or something (of
course it always seems at these things that folks are too bust to think
about food until the end).

We never ended up building anything or playing with the trains, but it
was definitely good to get a real good trading session going. I just
really need to get better set up to be able to trade, the problem is
that since I'm interested in all the themes, it's hard to let go of
things...

Frank

Frank, thanks for instigating the gather and hosting.  I had a wonderful
time.  Cary's Court house is amazing.  Highlights being the facade of Blind
Justice, the numerous columns, the plate roof, the window settings and the
use of the small white logs.   Thomas' pirate creation was a delight to see
too.   Many details, things going up down and all around achieved with gears
that were also decorative, plus the pigtailed pirate.

Good to see Frank's Wild West sets.  In the past I had dismissed them.  Wow!
Talk about a misjudgment.  They are well designed and a lot of fun.
Especially the one that inserting the dynamite 1x2 plate causes an
explosion.  FabuWest!  I can see it now!

Didn't realize from the pictures that the big Alpha set had such great
parts.  I still think the figures are wretched...well except for the flat
top hair, now that is cool!   5834 is better than I thought too.  The
polysilk landscape handkerchief is nice, the mint green seatbox wagon with
white tires and pink wheels is adorable!  But the best is the pale trans
blue roof unit.  I really, really enjoyed seeing all the new elements and
sets.  Oh, can't forget the Scala pegs.  Want some!  How many years before
these sets make it to the S@H specials list???

Trading/ Buying... thanks to  all! Fabuland! Micromotor! The Yellow Wheels+
and then there is the Time Cruiser that I got for parts and made the mistake
of building first and really liking.  Now, I just have to figure out how to
make the seat area 4 wide instead of the 2 wide it is.  So much for using it
for parts.  Time cruisers are a surprise to me.  Of course I can't stand the
figures and the color scheme leaves something to be desired, but the part
selection is so across the board and the designs so whacky that I am
starting to have a real affection for them.

Remember to email me the amount to send for Uncle Dan.  Sure would be nice
to go through an Uncle Dan box a couple of times a year.  Is this a possibility?

There never is enough time.  Didn't remember about the teapots and cakes and
then there is the baseplate I never got back to...

Glad to hear you and Thomas ate before he hit the road.   He had quite a
drive.  I was home before you two finished dinner.  Too much Lego for me to
think about food.  When I got home my not so little, little one was still
up.  I dumped everything out (very gently) and let her go through it.  I
thought she would want the swing, couldn't have cared less ... whew!... but
when she spotted the mint phone her eyes lit up.  Only a slight twinge for
me to give it up...  She likes red too.  The red car base, the red doors,
the windscreen, a seat box ....  and the list goes on.  Plenty for us both.
As far as dinner, I don't think I ended up eating anything last night.  It
just didn't occur to me.

It was a  good day.  Makes me want to figure out a way to be at Brickfest.
Nonstop Lego.  I don't know if there is any way, but originally I had
decided it would just be impossible and not to even consider it.  I will
keep an open mind.  Who knows?

sheree