 Local / United Kingdom / 408
Re: First visit to Legoland UK (longish)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:44:42 GMT

Dave Ryder wrote in message ...

I noticed that the tires on the vehicles looked quite worn, they also • appeared
greyish rather than black,  I don't know if that's because they've faded or • if
they use a different rubber compound than normal. I'd love to know how they
control the autonomous vehicles, I'm assuming buried-wire control.

The gubbins under the bodies looks pretty complicated to me, but as far as I
can make out (having seen some being worked on at the building department in
Windsor town centre [see - LEGO World Club membership has its benefits
8-)])...

...the vehicles follow buried wires. I'd guess that they're magnetic rather
than electrical 'cos of those lifting bridges... You've probably noticed
that whenever the vehicles stop (that's 'intentionally' as opposed to
breaking down), they stop over a pair of sprung wires sticking up from the
road surface - those are the chargers for the onboard batteries. I guess
that the electronics are required to measure charging accurately so that the
vehicle can make it to the next spot...

Apparently, there's a monster computer system somewhere controlling it all
too.

...just my two pen'orth...

Jon.