 Local / United Kingdom / 1498
Re: So explain to me why Lego UK dont do trains!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:26:00 GMT

Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote in message

Hi Lawrence

While I sympathise with your sentiments, it's not true that
Lego are somehow pulling out of trains in the UK, as you
imply. For a very long time, the train selection in the UK has
been more modest than across the Channel - I'd guess that's
because of the higher use of real trains in other European
countries compared to the UK.

For several years we have had one train - the 4559 Cargo
Railway. That has been replaced this year by the new passenger
train. We've lost the level crossing, though gained the cross-track
set. The new train is in the shops - I've already bought one
from a toy shop in Blackburn, and
I've seen it in several other shops. It's only just come out - which may
be why you haven't yet seen it in shops.

Frustrating I know that we don't have more - but then we
do have Busy Bee, which is almost as good!

Great to have you in the loc.uk group btw - it's always nice to
see a new Lego fan start contributing.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

I didnt say that Lego gave us no trains, but it seems for many years they have
made a decision to limit the amount we have access to.
My point was that clearly this is not the case in at least Holland, Germany
and Austria that I have visited and seen wonderful displays of trains on the
shelves.
This last year in particular they seem to have decided to limit this even more.

So I just wanted to know what was the reason for this.
It seems to me that we have a downwards spiral here if we are not careful
We buy less
They stock less
We buy even less
they stock even less
we buy nothing
they stock nothing.

Now the way out of this is to buy more trains, right?
Trouble is I cant we are already denied them

I have seen the 4561 in the shops
but made conscious decision not to buy it.
It has to be a GOOD train, not just any train.
Instead I have been spending my money buying old trains or trains from abroad.

regards
lawrence