 Local / United Kingdom / 1462
1461  |  1463
Subject:
So explain to me why Lego UK dont do trains!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:50:49 GMT

I was in Innsbruck, Austria this week for a conference.
On my way back to my hotel, I went passed a small toy shop and noticing Lego
Starwars I thought I would take a look inside.

Imagine how annoyed I was to see a wide array of Lego Train on the shelves.
This was a regular sized toy shop (say size of an Entertainer) in a 130,000
population city.

Amongst the things I noticed were
2150 station
4519 cross rail
432 level crossing
4533 snow plow
4556 new station
4553 train wash
4560 new train without transformer
4561 as above with transformer
4556 freight and crane railway
3225 classic train

And they had several of each
There were probably other things, I didnt write them down, just can remember
the above.
Prices were not too bad either. I paid £8 for the cross track. The crossing
and train wash were around £25. Classic train £40

So why doesnt Lego UK allow us to get trains?
Apart from the occasional box of track!

Given that the trains are clearly freely available. And packaged in multiple
languages including English, why has UK made some marketing decision that we
should not get them?

I bet someone says 'because there is no demand', to which I reply, well thats
hardly a surprise as you cant buy any, and many UK folk who see my trains
express surprise that lego even make trains.

Looking at the recent 'blue hopper mania', there clearly are some folk in the
UK interested in trains besides me.

So Lego (if your listening), why no trains in the UK?

Busy Bee, if you read this, what reason do Lego's give?

regards
lawrence