 Local / Australia / 989
Re: Question for Todd Regarding Mark Harrison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 00:32:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Peter White writes:
As a regular contributor to the loc.au group I would rather we petition
Todd to alter the T&C's to allow market posts in the loc.au group rather
than collectively vouch for MarkH not violating these same T&C's again.
[...]
Here's the wedding ceremony clause: anyone from loc.au who is averse to
market-related posts should speak now or forever...

I don't think you can do that, as it is unfair to future generations of
Aussie users who aren't here yet(1).  But - can't you create org.au.* and
move all your discussion there?  [...]

Richard is correct!  The no-auction rule (that is to say, no auction spam
outside of .market.auction) is a LUGNET-wide rule -- it's part of the very
basic core Agreement, in fact.  Getting together and agreeing somehow agreeing
spontaneously that it would be "OK" in your local group doesn't change the
fact that it would still be against the basic rules here.

On the other hand, if you guys/gals do now have an official "club" or user
group for Australias, then let's go ahead and set up a lugnet.org.au (or
lugnet.org.au.legoz or whatever you decide) and then you can set rules and
guidelines for _that_ newsgroup because it would be a community-created/grown
newsgroup set up to serve a specific target of people (i.e., your club).

Inside of your specific club newsgroup (also automatically a mailing list),
you can specially tailor whatever rules you want, so long as they don't
(obviously) do anything illegal or get LUGNET in trouble.

--Todd