 Local / Australia / 4257
Re: double entendres (was Re: I've been out of action, and need to contact Melody Brown ASAP!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:53:11 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
Why is it these things all take three weeks before I know about them?
(Computer lost all data on hard disk, etc. - I know - have fun picking apart
*that* lot!!)

I put in a perfectly decent subject line, and someone I don't know except by
his reputation calls it a double entendre.  I think you're interpreting it
out of context - while I'm on the Internet I'm "in action", as I stated in
the quoted subject line above.

Yes, it is indeed interpreted out of context, that's what Richard and myself
find so funny about it. The best double entendres are completely
unintentional. I riff on slips I see all the time, nothing personal... but I
ain't gonna stop any time soon.

However, I've noted you as not being able to take some good natured ribbing
and will try to forbear any further riffs on typos, slips, grammar, etc,
that you make in future.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with Mrs. Brown, I'm quite certain she's got
enough things to worry about without other people's good-natured attempts at
humor coming up with stuff like this, and I'm equally certain she'd like the
subject to be dropped entirely.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe she found it just as funny (and totally harmless) as
Richard and I did.  She didn't say. But you're belaboring it now. Let it go,
it is an example of the class of "funny once".

I'm emailing a copy of this to Todd, I'm certain he would see my point of
view.

Which is what, exactly? That you're way overreacting and taking things way
too seriously? Lighten up.

It's not quite the reaction I expected from a mature bunch of AFOLs.

On this I agree, your reaction isn't quite what I expected either. But as I
said, you're on my "can't take a joke" list now, and I shall endeavour to do
better in future...

++Lar