 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2568
  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) That's a nice slip into quasi-rant mode, but it's rather nonsequitor. Regardless, yes, I might wonder if bricks and minifigures are "tired" (in terms of buyer interest) since LEGO continues to juniorize their product (ie pitch them at younger (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I think it is quite pertinent, although at this point it might be more useful to ask why TLC is not producing NEW sets that supplement existing or previously popular themes. (I admit I AM biased in that I like the idea of having some pieces (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) As quasi-rants tend to be...deal! (...) OMG, this same "tired" argument every time! We already know they are taking a bath on these kinds of sets, or at least the retailers are -- go check out the RR stuff on sale at TRU right now. How do I (...) (23 years ago, 14-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I'd rather not, thank you, this not being the lugnet.off-topic.deb...n-sequitor group. (...) Do me a favor and address me for the posts I make, and not for the posts that others may or may not have made in the past. I've been gone awhile, and (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I am willing to give the "sheer madness" argument more credence than yourself. But I'll allow that your reasoning could be sound up to a point. But I tend to think that TLC is quite out of touch with what consumers really want and what they (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I agree, and I had a sneaking feeling that if we compared notes we would find much congruence between our theories. Getting back to the topic of pirates, if, as you noted, Pirates sold so well at its introduction, and if, as I surmised, it (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I hope this discussion DOES continue, you guys have found a promising new line of analysis, I think! Jeff's description of a vicious circle in product development (moving more and more in the Jr direction as the effects of previous jrization (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I am going from memory here, so bear with me (I will check my memory later against the source I am referring to). Earlier I had mentioned a book entitled "The Ultimate Lego Book" which was published by DK apparently with TLC's full cooperation (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) You're right, Larry! And you know how I hate it when that happens... =oP I had a co-worker, who shall remain nameless, who possesses this kind of short attention span. We had gone to TRU together a few times -- and while I always made for the (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I don't have my copy of that book in front of me to confirm but this squares 100% with my memory of what it said as well. "system" is a great idea, incompletely realised as of yet... ++Lar (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) I think it was GKC rather than KKK that came up with the idea of a "system of play." And I think it was part of the vision for LEGO way before the early '80s. Maybe even the '60s? I think I recall that from "The World of LEGO Toys." Just the (...) (23 years ago, 15-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

(...) Well as I looked for this I found two places mentioning 'system' or 'system of play'. First was page twelve where it is mentioned that GKC came up with 'system of play' in or around 1954. Second mention is on page seventeen, KKK was mentioned (...) (23 years ago, 16-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: Bad Policy #2 (Why all the secrecy, LEGO Direct?)

Richard, I couldn't have stated it any better than you in the way you lament our lack of basic building parts. You waxed poetically at the historic lack of parts available to the fans of their products. Ironically TLCs own set designers are also (...) (23 years ago, 17-May-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)