 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2114
Re: Lugnet Promo Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:27:39 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Frank Filz writes:
I'd
love to see an assortment like the Shell sets (and I'm sure Lugnet would
be happy for TLC to sell them through lego.com and S@H to justify the
volumes). Given the Velux and airline promotions, it suggests to me that
the volumes need not be enormous (I bet AFOLs have accounted for 80% of
Velux's sales of their promotional set).

I can speak to this a *little* bit as I have been discussing this issue for
several months with somebody at LEGO.

My understanding is that the Shell promo was about a "4 million pack-out"
(as the term was relayed to me).

So, I too asked the question: "What would the minimum type of production run
have to be, and at what cost level for the design vs. what it would probably
retail for?"

The answer I got back was that they had no set minimum per se, and that I
should just propose something, which I did (I actually proposed three
different scenarios...I won't bore anybody with the details here, but if
you're interested, feel free to fire off an e-mail). I haven't heard back on
my proposals yet (they were sent about a week ago).

As stated by others in this group, however, I don't think the volume needs
to be exceptionally huge for it to work, and if LEGO agreed to 1) Make the
sets available through their Shop at Home-type groups, globally, and 2)
Promote the sets in the club publications and online, I don't think there
would be ANY trouble selling enough to make money and give "us" (meaning
people who want more of the old design aesthetic with more detail) some sets
that we want.

Ideally this would start out small...with a series of small, inexpensive
sets. If it's a success, it moves up to include bigger sets with higher
piece-counts. If it keeps on to be successful, there are other things I'd
like to see added into the mix, such as an idea book based on building from
sets that are currently available, produced in the style of the the old 6000
"Bill & Mary" book (a photo journey adventure combined with building
instructions). The instructions should assume that you have any number of
sets from this line of sets, but it should not assume that you have more
than one of any of them, if that makes any sense.

Enough for now...LEGO...thoughts?

Lou Zucaro