 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2014
Re: Lugnet Promo Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:05:33 GMT

That's what I was curious about, what are the volumes? I could believe
millions for the Shell sets, but I seriously doubt the Velux promo runs
to the millions. I kind of doubt the airline promos do either (now if
they were sold on domestic flights or through the airline's gift
catalog, that might increase the volumes, but I still doubt it). Now
clearly Shell's (and Kabaya's) higher volumes is why they have a wider
variety of sets, and I bet they get more say in what kinds of sets are
produced, but I could almost imagine there being a catalog of "promo"
sets which potential partners get to pick from.

I fired off a Email to Jake (which I will repeat here:

I'm not sure if you would have access, but there is some info on my web page

(you all can dig for it, its on the UNICEF van :)

which is about a van made here in Canada by Sampsonite.  It suggests that in
the past there was a capability to manufacture smaller runs of sets, but it
might well have been lost when Lego took over the Canadian operations.

Perhaps some enquiries about this set might give some ideas as to production?

I _think_ that a set with a Minifig, and a van like this would be a ideal promo
set for LUGNET and TLG.   Even a plain Minifig with a LUGNET sticker, and
LUGNET stickers for the side of the van would be cool, and this brings it into
the land of the custom kit, like what I hand produce (or any of the other Guild
of Bricksmiths produce).  I believe there are ~1000 members of LUGNET, which
would probably generate sales in the order of ~2000-4000 units, which is about
as many as sold of the UNICEF van.

James