 LEGO Company / 2563
Re: LEGOfactory.com launches... and it's big!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:38:05 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Allan Bedford wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Eric Kingsley wrote:
   While I think this is a good idea I have found the software fragile. I cannot save at all, it just shuts down the program. I find it very difficult to line up the 8x8 plates/roadplates next to each other. I am going to try reinstalling the software but so far I can’t say I have had much luck.

Marc,

Good information, thank you! Quick follow-up questions.

   I also had problems with lining up pieces. Here are some things that helped me:
  • Adjust the mouse sensitivity in the LDD configuration program. This will help with the “floaty” feeling of the pieces.

Raise or lower the sensitivity?

I raised it - I set it at about 1.5, if I remember correctly.

  • Wait a second before jiggling the piece again - sometimes just holding the piece still will cause the autoconnect feature to kick in.

Will try that.

  • Change your viewing angle.

I tried playing with that a bit, but my test model was just a bunch of random pieces, I’m still trying to get the video settings working right. However, I noticed that if you tilted the grid too far forward it seemed to flip right over. Is that the sort of behavior you saw?

Yeah, I think that’s a feature, not a bug.

Also, has anyone figured out how to rotate a piece around its own center? When I was able to rotate a piece it seemed to do so around one of its own corners, which moves the piece out of the model rather than just turning a different face forward. Any help would be appreciated. I really want to enter a model in the contest but I’m finding the software more challenging than I expected.

They always seem to rotate around the corners for me as well. I’m not sure what you mean by “moves the piece out of the model”. If part of your model is out of the buildable area, you can recenter the view by pressing the spacebar. This changes the cursor into a little square target - whereever you click next will become the new center point of the view.

Marc Nelson Jr.

   Thanks, Allan B.