 Harry Potter / 222
Re: LEGO General/Harry Potter Rant (Was - Re: Harry Potter Creator box art)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:54:23 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Matthew Gerber writes:
Hey all,

Caution! Extremely bulky LEGO related ranting follows. Proceed at your own risk!

This is also the post I inadvertently deleted last night, and I've attempted
to re-create it, though of course I'm not nearly as satisfied with this
re-do version.

I've been spending some time looking at the picture of the Harry Potter
Creator game that Christopher so generously posted for our consumption. This
has led to some disparate thoughts, which I have decided to commit to words
here. (Take the Harry Potter Specific words with a grain of salt though,
'cause of course the specs could change before the final release of any product)

1) Harry Potter Specific - While I have already made my thoughts on the
subject of the starry capes known (yuck!), here are reasons: While star
covered capes may be fun for the kiddies, there is no basis for them in the
books or (from what we have seen in the trailers) the movie. Also, I was
assuming that with a HUGE license like Potter, LEGO might put a small bit of
thought into a cloak or something (similar to what I did with my Harry fig,
ya' know?).

2) Harry Potter Specific - Grey pants? In the trailers and production stills
I have seen, they are darker, if not black. This shouldn't be too hard to
get right. They look like they are wearing polyester leisure suits.

3) Harry Potter Specific - Hagrid is a brick. A brick with arms and a head,
but a brick none-the-less. One of the most interesting characters in the
books reduced to a painted brick. The play value is staggering, ain't it?

4) General - Hagrid is a brick. You thought the Creatorfigs were bad? At
least they are mobile! This dumbing-down (juniorization) is really getting
out of hand.

5) General - Looking at the hair pieces as rendered in 3D on the box cover,
my thought is that LEGO is moving towards blobby chunks of plastic meant to
be "more realistic", instead of well sculpted and detailed elements, to
represent hair. Case in point: The Alpha Team Buzz Cut. An admireable idea,
poorly developed/executed. Every instance of this piece I have seen is flat
in the back left quadrant. Not mis-molded...mis-sculpted. In this age of
computer-aided design and rapid prototyping, there is no reason for this
poor level of element to be produced. And the rounded detail leaves much to
be desired, as the deeply defined hair elements of the past worked much
better to get the point across. BTW: Harry's got a 'fro!

6) General - Like some of the other new LEGO product, the faces as
represented on the minifigs on the game box are rendered with very thin
lines. I assume that this is meant to express more detail and realism. While
this is all well and good, the fact that even on different sets in the same
theme, different styles are being used shows a seriously poor coherent whole
across the entire LEGO line. While some face elements use such thin lines
that some are almost non-existent (e.g. Young Anakin), others use similar
line weights to the classic head elements of the past (e.g. Han Solo). Why?

Conclusions - What all of this rambling boils down too is this: There seem
to be many different development units at LEGO who are churning out
uninspired product as cheaply as possible. LEGO continues to waste all of
its time/effort/money on character development (Alpha Team, Racers,
Bionicle) and license aquisition (Harry Potter, Star Wars), making the
entire LEGO line fall flat. If these trends continue, they are going to
loose everyting that made LEGO the toy of the last century.

Well, that's it. I had some more (in my opinion) really deep thoughts in the
lost version of this message, but this one pretty much gets my points
across. If you actually made it this far, thanks...and sorry!

Matt

In lugnet.castle, Christopher Pisciotti writes:
This image is from a demo disk I received yesterday from the LEGO Media
booth at E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo, http://www.e3expo.com) currently
running through today at the LA Convention center in Los Angeles. The box
art may give some insight into what some of the Harry Potter sets and
minifigs might look like.

www.geocities.com/loch_forest/hpbox.html

Yeah, I ain't extatic about some things in the Potter line, seems my initial
pipe dreams of sets/parts was just that.  Bottom line is quality and
expandable playability.  Those should be more firm goals of TLC, and if they
use classic molds instead of new shape designs, then that suits me fine.
You made your point pretty well.  We all hope for some sets designed as well
as some of our own MOC models, but the reality is that the folk at LEGO seem
to be creatively bewildered, or at least challanged.  Perhaps they should
just fire everyone and re-issue old sets :o)
Still, I hope to find some interesting qualities in the Potter sets that
will likely tempt me to aquire a few.
-Aaron-