 General / 9988
Re: 2000 Town construction sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 00:20:16 GMT

I have a theory...

It is probably not correct, because it violates bishop's law
(it requires a well thought-out plan for it to be correct) but here it is...

Maybe they (TLG) design sets with no bricks (just specialty pieces)
because "everyone already has" bricks.  You can buy whole tubs of them.
They are depending on us to supply the bricks and imagination to build
the "real" models.  The models in the instructions are just a clever way to
get us to do inventory of the package and see how they fit together.

A building is mostly square (FLW rolls over in grave) and it easily modelled
with just bricks.  Been there done that.

"What can we do to get people to buy more product?"  Add unusual shapes
so that they can build non-rectalinear (sp?) things. Cars, boats, planes
etc.

"They won't just buy a box of funny shapes!" [oh but we would, if they are
the right ones]

Combine all the funny shapes into one model.  It doesn't have to be very
good,
they (we) are supposed to combine the parts with all the "bricks they
already have"
to build the "Real" models.

"OH! I see, and if they don't already have all the rectangular bricks?..."

"...then we sell them some more of those too."

{insert diabolical laughter as scene fades to black...}

So while we set <sic> here complaining that we don't have good models to
build,
it's our fault, because we are supposed to be coming up with the designs
ourselves.
The "complete" LEGO set has at least two separate components.  The "set"
component
that supplies the non-rectalinear elements, and the pile of rectalinear
bricks that are
"sold separately".  You can't build a "real" model without both parts. (and
the imagination
part too)

</conspiracy>

it 's time for my meds,
:?) bishop

Julie Krenz wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
In lugnet.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Looks like we'll have lots of new town construction sets for 2000:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2000/c00am-100dpi/c00am-26.html

And it may just be me, but I think that these sets don't look as much
juniorized as the 1999 town sets.  True, they're still juniorized, but
not as much, are they?

Fredrik

But where are the buildings?
A town full of vehicles, but no buildings?

New road plate looks nice, but what about the buildings?

The only building is yet another fire station.

This looks more like good bye town. Ghost town maybe.

I for one am NOT impressed.

How can they call it 'city centre'?
Where the city???

regards
lawrence

Agreed! I got excited for a quick second when I saw the word "hotel", and • then
I realized it was a background picture :(
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/catalogs/2000/c00am-100dpi/c00am-27.html
Could you imagine the windows in a hotel set?
Julie

I'd buy the "Hotel Windows Set"
(contains 16 4x6 chrome frames with smoke tinted lobby glass,
2 pairs 4x6 glass doors in chrome frames
and 144 2x3 two paned over/under windows - black frames)
$34.95