 General / 9945
Re: 2000 Town construction sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 19:08:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Julie Krenz writes:

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
I for one am NOT impressed.

How can they call it 'city centre'?
Where the city???
Agreed! I got excited for a quick second when I saw the word "hotel", and
then
I realized it was a background picture :(

So a couple more people don't think too much of thenew  town sets. But am I
really the only person on lugnet who's basically completely unimpressed by
the entire new catalogue??????

I just had a look back at my 1996 catalogue - the last decent year in my view
before Lego took a nosedive in 1997. And the stuff in 2000 might have more
colours and a few odd bricks that people have wanted that have suddenly
become more common
(I'd be surprised if that didn't happen with _some_ bricks each year - just on
the inevitability that with new sets coming out TLG are going to find new uses
for older bricks) - but in terms of set quality - realism of the buildings,
vehicles etc.
modelling real-life themes, and most of all in terms of the degree of detail
in the sets,
I'd say the 2000 catalogue is far inferior. The only sets that remotely compare
on that score are Starwars and Ninja (which isn't new) and possibly
adventurers - hard to say since the new sets aren't shown.

Just look at those brightly coloured blob-like
bricks painted on the baseplate of the new big castle, the 6091
- reminds me more
of Christmas wrapping paper than any serious attempt to depict the ground
around a castle. (Compare that with the much subtler, more realistic,
markings on the baseplate of the old 6090).

At least next year I'm not going to be wanting to spend much money. I'm just
glad I came out of my dark ages early enough to pick up a fair number of
decent, pre-1997, sets.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com