 General / 8330
Re: Insurance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:22:13 GMT

Christopher Tracey <ctracey@usgs.gov> wrote in message
news:37FA25C2.6D3784B1@usgs.gov...
I asked my agent about it and he said it would be covered under my • renter's
insurance policy.  I didn't have to list items individually but they • suggested
that I videotape or photograph everything of value.  Do most policys use
replacement value or original cost as to what they will cover?

This will depend on the type of policy that you get.  When we were getting
insurance for my business, we went several rounds with our insurance agent,
who didn't seem to understand what we were looking for.  He wanted to insure
all of our computers and equipment for "current value", which is obviously
less then we paid for the equipment, and MUCH less then it would cost us to
replace it.

Since the computers were vital to the running of the business, we needed
them insured for what it would cost us to go out and get all new equipment
should something happen.  (Note this would not be the standard "replacement
cost" because that usually means replacing something with the exact same
thing.  This is not always possible with computers, since you'll have a hard
time finding something that you got more then a year ago)

This approach cost us more, but I felt better knowing that if the building
burned down, I'd be able to go out and buy all new equipment and keep the
business running with little delay.