 General / 8098
Re: Datsville Construcrtions Steam Roller)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:01:27 GMT

Bram Lambrecht wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
Bram Lambrecht wrote:
The dump body was the first thing I built :)

A good dump body is hard, it has a lot of non right angles to it. So I
skipped it. I only had 2 hours to bang this model out.

Hm, mine has quite a few right angles (the dump body is the bed of the
truck, right?)--maybe mine isn't quite prototypical (I did use a
reference though...)

Well, they vary. The ones I like aren't all that right angled.

See, for instance:
http://www.terex.com/earthmoving.htm and look at the first truck in the
"mining" row.

Or the caterpillar site (talk about hard to use, though)
http://www1.cat.com/cgi-bin/frameset.pl?nav=products&content=/products/mining/mining.html&target=_top&title=Caterpillar%20-%20Products%20-%20Industries%20We%20Serve

That's a much smaller dump (I refer to the 793C truck) but it's not all
that right angled either.

You can see a nice cat (and an Euclid) at this site:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/cmesales3/

Or this site:
http://www.rimpull.com/ The white truck in the banner on the opening
page is just the look I was going for See how high the deck is? Ladder
on one side of the radiator, offset cab, the whole nine yards. (so to
speak.. these trucks can hold more than 9 yards ;-) ) Actually, of the 4
sites I found quickly, this one is the best of the bunch. Good drawings
with measurements (if you have acrobat installed already).

In thinking about how to fashion a dump body I'm thinking the technic
round end beams with 2 bends for vertical ribs and some scheme to fasten
plates between the ribs involving 2x2 plate with bottom side technic pin
holes???

Just building it out of bricks seems wrong somehow.

How did you build yours?
lugnet.